The latest version of Koushion is now available in the App Store. Version 3.5 bring minor stability and performance improvements, and a major usability upgrade. Inter-App MIDI is now fully supported, so the app can now run in the background after the switch is flipped on in the settings popover.
Description:Koushion is a flexible MIDI step sequencer that integrates with your digital audio workstation software (Live, Logic, Reason, etc.), and iOS MIDI apps (Animoog, NLog PRO, iMini, Sunrizer, WaveGenerator, Alchemy, and more).
- 16 steps per scene
- 8 scenes with independent MIDI channel, key, quantization, and playback mode (combined, this makes for up to 128 steps per layer in chain mode)
- 16 layers of scenes that act like individual tracks
- MIDI clock send/receive
- 5 playback modes - single, simultaneous, chain, rebound, and random
- Scale - switch between any major, minor, pentatonic, or chromatic scale
- Adjustable step quantization - 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12, 1/16, 1/24, and 1/32
- Quantized scene switching
- Tap to set tempo - great for syncing with a live band
- Per-step velocity, gate and CC sequencing
- Monophonic drawing mode - only allows one note per step; great for programming leads
- Intuitive tied note entry - Just drag for as many steps as you'd like to sustain a single pitch
- Optional Dark Theme - reduces eyestrain when working in low-light environments
- Runs in the background so you don't miss a beat when tweaking your synth parameters
- Uses system resources efficiently
- Timing accuracy is typically ±5/100 BPM over a stable Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi connection, and ±1/100 BPM over a MIDI adapter
Compatible MIDI Connections:
- Automatic integration with other apps via Core MIDI virtual ports
- Control of external MIDI devices via Core MIDI-compatible connections such as iConnectMIDI, iRig MIDI, and Alesis I/O dock
- MIDI over Wi-Fi via Core MIDI network sessions (warning: unpredictable latency)
Review by Chris Stack of ExperimentalSynth.com
"Koushion has become my go-to sequencer for generating short to mid-length patterns. I just keep coming up with new uses for it. It's a lot of fun with iPad synth apps. I have a lot of hardware synths and Koushion really brings them to life and lets me keep both hands on the synths for maximum expression."
* Tied notes! Drag a single pitch across multiple steps to sustain it.
* Apply a key to all layers at the tap of a button.
* Toggle note display between human-readable pitch and raw MIDI pitch numbers with the "Show MIDI Pitches" switch.
* Increased grid size to make touch targets as large as possible.
* Gate now behaves properly for all quantization settings.