Cubasis (Steinberg Cubase DAW for iPad)
Cubasis is probably the most powerful DAW for iPad. It supports both midi and audio tracks, audiobus and virtual midi to work with external music apps that support (Magellan, Animoog. iPolysix, iMS-20, DM1 etc.)
by Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Cubasis 2 equals ease of use and is as powerful as a fully featured iOS-based music production system can be pushing your capabilities out of limits. Whether you’re capturing simple ideas or complex musical masterpieces — It ships with outstanding, touch-optimized tools carrying you into the fun of recording, editing, mixing and sharing your music with the world right away. Get fascinated by the brand new features that Cubasis 2 comes with such as real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting, a studio-grade channel strip, pro-sounding effects, massive instrument refills, a refreshed MIDI Editor and many more powerful features. Put hands on three internal instruments, numerous loops and instrument sounds to creatively lift your music to perfection using the included mixer and effects. Once recorded, share your music with the world via a simple tap or transfer it directly to Cubase.
• Unlimited number of audio and MIDI tracks
• 24 assignable physical inputs and outputs
• 32-bit floating point audio engine
• Audio I/O resolution of up to 24-bit/96 kHz
• iOS 32- and 64-bit support
• Real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting featuring zplane’s élastique 3
• Micrologue virtual analog synthesizer with 126 ready-to-go presets
• MicroSonic with over 120 virtual instrument sounds based on HALion Sonic, HALiotron and Allen Morgan drum kits
• MiniSampler to create your own instruments (includes 20 factory instruments)
• Mixer with studio-grade channel strip per track and 17 effect processors
• Super-versatile RoomWorks SE* reverb effect providing uniquely professional sound and an intuitive graphical display for instant visual feedback at slightest parameter changes
• Fully automatable DJ-like Spin FX effect plug-in
• Over 550 MIDI and time-stretch-capable audio loops
• Virtual keyboard, chord and drum pads with intuitive note repeat control
• Sample Editor and Key Editor with MIDI CC support
• Refreshed MIDI Editor with ultra-intuitive, lightning fast and accurate handling to edit MIDI tracks and compose music easier than ever before
• MIDI Auto Quantize
• Track Duplicate
• Automation, MIDI CC, program change and aftertouch support
• Export to Cubase, iCloud Drive, external hard drives, wireless flash drives, Dropbox, SoundCloud, AudioCopy and email
• Core Audio and Core MIDI compatible hardware supported
• MIDI over Bluetooth LE support
• Full Audio Unit, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus 3 support to use compatible apps as insert/send effects and virtual instruments or simply record their audio output
• Import audio from your iTunes music library or iCloud Drive or iTunes file sharing, use AudioPaste or set up a Wi-Fi server in Cubasis
• Audio mixdown and MIDI export
• MIDI clock and MIDI thru support
"Probably the best iPad-based DAW in terms of usability and flexibility, and it links up with Cubase on your desktop, too."
"So all in all Cubasis is a hands down victory. Everything supplied here works and works perfectly. If you are a Cubase user and own an iPad, this is simply a no brainer, you have to have it."
48 voices: iPad 2, iPad mini
128 voices: iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro
*User registration required to unlock RoomWorks SE reverb effect.
Audio Unit extension requires iPad Mini 2, iPad 4 or newer model.
Audio Unit and Waves plug-in (in-app purchase) automation requires iOS 10 or higher. Audio Unit MIDI and Files app require iOS 11 or higher.
Project export to Cubase requires Cubase Pro 9/Pro 9.5, Cubase Artist 9/9.5, Cubase LE/AI/Elements 9 or higher.
Cubasis project importer extension must be installed and is available at http://www.steinberg.net/cubasisimporter
Please check the Steinberg End User License Agreement on this website:
- Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks (depending on the device used)
- Over 70 virtual instrument sounds based on HALion Sonic
- Mixer with over 10 effect processors (insert and send effects)
- Over 300 MIDI and audio loops
- Virtual keyboard and virtual drum pads
- Sample Editor and Key Editor
- Export to Cubase, Dropbox, SoundCloud, AudioCopy & email
- Core Audio and Core MIDI compatible hardware supported
- Sequence other Core MIDI apps (MIDI recording only) and run Cubasis simultaneously via background audio
- Import audio from your iTunes music library or using iTunes filesharing, use AudioPaste or set up a Wi-Fi server in Cubasis
Steinberg Cubase DAW for desktop has always been one of the best DAWs on the market. And they recently introduced their DAW for iPad which is called Cubasis. Musicians familiar with Steinberg products (or other desktop DAWs like Logic, Sonar or even GarageBand) will instantly feel at home using Cubasis. No need to read a long user manual, everything works intuitively and you can be creative from the moment you start the app.
User interface and workflow
The user interface of Cubasis was meticulously designed by expert user experience designers and tested on a test group at a German university to ensure the best iPad DAW experience. Steinberg did really good job in rethinking on how classical DAW should work on the iPad and adapted interfaces for touch screen. It works very smooth. Cubasis comes with multi-track sequencer, midi and audio regions editors, mixer and keyboard/pads for virtual instrumtents.
I found Cubasis great for composing and arrangement. But it lacks yet several important features like automation, sidechain compression and better effects (most of the effects are good but not on the level of Auria’s VST) to cover all the requirements. Steinberg promised to update Cubasis on a regular basis and they mentioned on the forum that they are currently working on new plugins and new virtual instruments which will be available as in-app purchases.
Cubasis projects can be imported to Cubase (PC/Mac DAW) to work with them on a fully fledged DAW or you can share your mixdown via Email, Dropbox, AudioCopy, Soundcloud. Thanks to the “Split by track” mixdown you can continue working with your project in other DAWs. To import audio data into Cubasis you can use iTunes share, AudioPaste and iPod import (import DRM free files files from iPod library).
UPDATE: Audiobus was supported in 1.1 in January 2013.
- Great intuitive user interface and workflow
- Virtual midi and Audiobus to work with external synths
- Unlimited audio and midi tracks and good selection of easy to use effects
- No automation
- Non customizable built-in instruments, no built-in synths (only sample based instruments) but the app can work with third party synth apps via virtual midi
- Limited EQ (with HighShelf and LowShelf only)
- No sidechain compression