It is fantastic to see such a powerful and beautifully made new music app from Positive Grid.
Mastering is not the most common thing people do on the iPad, most of mastering apps for iPad are used by people that produce music exclusively on iOS. And those who use computers in their studio mostly rely on desktop software (whether built-in DAW plugins which are not best ones or commercial plugins like iZotope Ozone).
I was not very exited when I’ve heard about new mastering app for the iPad. In my studio I do mastering with set of pretty expensive plugins and outboard mastering compressor. But I gave a chance to Final Touch app and I need to say that it not only looks good but also sounds really good. And the price is just 20$. Just to compare – the most popular desktop mastering plugin – iZotope Ozone is 250$.
Playing with unmastered track I’ve got great results just in a few minutes. And here’s how it works – you export the track (from iTunes, Dropbox, FTP, file sharing – Documents folder of the app and Audio Paste), then you turn on modules you need – Pre EQ, Multiband compressor, Reverb, Stereo Imager, Post EQ and Maximizer.
EQs have 8 independent linear phase bands and each band can be split for Left/Right channel or Mid/Side. Multiband compressor is really cool – just check out the way it shows gain and compression. And my favorite here is Maximizer it sounds really transparent.
Description:Final Touch is a full-featured and professional audio post production system for iPad.
Combining maximizer, equalizer, 4-band compressor, stereo imager, reverb, and dithering into one integrated app, it gives your mixes a polished and professional sound.
Top-Notch Sound Quality
Building on Positive Grid’s expertise in DSP research and masterful integration of iOS vDSP double-precision architecture, Final Touch is a dedicated mastering system with superior data integrity and high-resolution processing capability. The result is a set of creative and professional tools that deliver masters that sound not just louder, but clearer, wider, fuller and more powerful and detailed.
Unequaled Control and Metering
All Final Touch’s modules (with the exception of the stereo imager and maximizer), can solo or bypass their left, right, mid, or side channel, and either mode’s two channels can be linked. Four high-resolution faders for left- and right-channel inputs and outputs are flanked by highly visible multi-colored ladder meters, fader and level readouts, and clip indicators. Faders can be linked, maintaining any previously created offsets. Global and module-based presets, transport controls, a waveform overview, undo and redo functions, and import and export facilities provide the ultimate in control and status monitoring.
The Pros Agree
"A freaking awesome audio production app!" - Rafa Sardina, 12-time Grammy Award-winning producer and engineer (credits include Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, and Beyonce).
"Solid, accurate, and accessible!" - German Villacorta, mastering engineer and owner of Dynamic Wave Studios (credits include Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, and Lynch Mob).
"Finally, the professional mastering app for iPad I have been waiting for! With a clear and intuitive interface, streamlined workflow, powerful effects, and full cloud support, this app makes professional mobile mastering a reality!” - Andrea Pejrolo, Assistant Chair of the Production Department at Berklee College of Music.
"I'm really digging the open top end of the EQ section and how the maximizer is gluing this mix together. This is a flexible, very cool audio app for modern musicians on the go." - Enrique Gonzalez Muller, Grammy Award-winning producer and engineer (credits include Nine Inch Nails, Dave Matthews Band, and Tina Turner).
• Complete professional audio post production system powered by Positive Grid’s high-end signal-processing algorithms
• Pre and post linear-phase equalizers, each offering eight bands and five filter types
• Multiband dynamics with four independent bands of compression/limiting
• Stereo imager adjusts the width and balance of your mix’s soundstage
• High-quality reverb provides lush, dense and authentic room, hall, and plate algorithms
• Maximizer transparently limits peaks to make your mix louder
• Dithering and noise-shaping preserve your mix’s depth and nuance
• Stereo and mid-side processing
• High-resolution, multi-colored metering with accurate readouts
• Each module can be independently bypassed
• Bypass switches for individual EQ bands
• Left, right, mid, and side channels can be independently soloed or bypassed
• Waveform overview of your mix, with draggable playback cursor
• 100 factory presets and unlimited user presets
• Global- and module-based presets
• Drag and drop modules to rearrange their order in the signal path
• Pristine, high-resolution sound (double-precision, 64-bit calculation)
• Unmatched audio-data integrity: no rounding or truncation except when calculations are performed
• Share via email, Dropbox, iTunes, SoundCloud, and FTP
• Streamlined project management: browse multiple projects with one simple tap
• Workflow optimized for mobile and desktop data transfers
• Supports Inter-App Audio and Audiobus routing system (and works with many other audio apps)
For more information, please visit:
Thanks for your feedback! In this new update, we’ve implemented some bug fixes to improve the overall stability of the app.
The Positive Grid Team