Back in the day people studied the covers and inlays of vinyl records to find any clues about possible sample sources. Then in the early days of the internet, they scoured the online forums to find out who looped what part of which song. But over the past years one site has been the new haven for all sample spotters – we are talking of course about WhoSampled.com.
Simply enter a song or artist name, and you will find out about all the samples used in the track, what artists also used that sample, even which b-movie that obscure interlude piece is from and much much more!
If you’re a sample addict on the go, then you’ll surely know about the WhoSampled app already. Just like on the website you can bookmark your favourite samples, but on the app you can also anaylze your own music collection and find out which samples are hidden in your treasures.
But that’s not all – WhoSampled just introduced a new feature for people on the go. With the newest update, the WhoSampled app gets the same functionality people love about Shazam. You simply tap on a button, let the app listen. Shazam simply tells you which song you listened to and that’s an awesome bit of magic already. But here’s the kicker…
The WhoSampled app kicks it out of the park, because it also tells you instantly what samples are used in the song! This amazing feat is possible because the app can tap into the huge sample database which thousands of volunteers have put together over the past decade.
So, let’s talk pricing. The basic app on Android is free, but it show annoying ads. On iOS the app simply costs $3.99 and is completely ad-free. The ‘Shazam’ sample recognition function is available as in-app subscription at $9.99 for one year. If you’re pinching pennies, you could simply use Shazam to get the song title and manually search on WhoSampled afterwards. For the odd sample check here and there it’s ok. But if you are as curious about sampling in popular music as we are, the subscription is totally worth it.
Discover the DNA of the music you love! Scan your personal Apple Music, Spotify or iTunes library for samples, covers and remixes, and explore WhoSampled's entire universe of deep musical knowledge.
The WhoSampled app can now also identify the music that is playing around you and show you its samples, covers and remixes. Available as an in-app subscription for just $9.99 per year (or your currency equivalent), subject to the In-App Subscription Terms below.
- Selected by Apple as APP STORE BEST OF YEAR
- The Telegraph's BEST MUSIC APP OF THE YEAR
- Music Ally Digital Music Awards - BEST MUSIC APP
- Listed as one of the best apps in the world by The Next Web, The Sunday Times, The Independent and more
Where was this song sampled? Who covered my favorite artists? What remixes were made for this track? WhoSampled knows! WhoSampled is the music DNA discovery app that lets you explore the music connections in your music collection. Access the world's largest database of sample-based music, cover songs and remixes, and discover who your favorite artists have sampled, or whether your favorite songs have been covered or remixed! It's an essential music discovery tool for anyone into Hip-Hop, Electronic/Dance music, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Classical or any other genre.
- Go on a journey of musical discovery built around your own music collection. Scan your Apple Music, Spotify or iTunes music library and discover amazing connections for the songs in it
- Identify the music that is playing around you and immediately see its samples, covers and remixes. Available as an in-app subscription for just $9.99 per year (or your currency equivalent)
- Easy access to the world’s largest and richest database of music DNA, with over 500,000 tracks, 200,000 artists and continuous daily additions. Search for any artist or track even if it is not in your music library
- Beautiful, ad-free, clean interface. Simple and intuitive navigation makes music exploration easy
- Compare tracks side-by-side and listen to full‐length tracks, streamed through YouTube (where available), Apple Music (if you are a subscriber) or Spotify (Spotify Premium accounts only). Please note that your iPhone must not be on silent/vibrate mode in order for audio to play
- “Now Playing” feature – switch from your music player to WhoSampled to discover all the musical connections for the song you’re listening to right now (Apple Music and iTunes only)
- Highly detailed information on any sample (sample timing, sample type, part sampled) lets you pinpoint where the sample was used and compare it with the original
- Share your amazing finds with your Facebook friends and Twitter followers
- Deep and unique music charts that show you trending and top rated content as well as the all-time most influential artists and tracks
- Engage with the WhoSampled community from within the app; comment on and rate any entry in the WhoSampled database
- A host of other features and functionality including links to buy tracks from iTunes, personal favorites list plus contextual recommendations from every sample, cover and remix
Dig deeper into the music you love. Dig into the WhoSampled app.
In-App Subscription Terms
Payment will be charged to iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.